It’s no secret that spring and summer have a monopoly on popular wedding dates—but who says winter weddings can’t have a sparkle all their own? We’ve hosted successful winter weddings that have wowed attendees and made lasting memories for newlyweds and guests alike. That being said, winter weddings do come with particular planning details you’ll want to address before the big day. Whether you’re going with elegant wintry whites, or a burgundy and evergreen holiday scheme, it’s important to plan on making your guests comfortable. Host a wedding and reception that takes advantage of your seasonal date and keeps everyone having fun the whole night long. To make the most of a winter wedding, check out our tips on hosting nuptials during the colder months!
1. Provide Warmth: Don’t let colder temperatures deter you from a venue with an outdoor view! There are plenty of stylish ways to keep guests comfortable without sacrificing that one-of-a-kind downtown view you love. We love these ideas for keeping everyone warm:
- Venue: venue is key to balancing the seasonal fun of a winter wedding with a comfortable reception. Look for venues that offer indoor and outdoor options so you can take advantage of a wintry feel without making guests shiver. For example, at The Empire Room guests can move comfortably between a festive outdoor patio and an elegant heated interior.
- Heaters: a well-prepared modern wedding venue can provide portable heaters near tables so guests won’t get chilly. These are easy to set up, and provide plenty of warmth for everyone.
2. Think Cozy: take advantage of the chilly weather and the coziness that comes along with it. Think of all the things that make winter so snug (cable-knit sweaters, pretty evergreens, fireside warmth…):
- Stock seating areas with cozy blankets. Guests will love the opportunity to enjoy the winter weather and an outdoor view while snuggled under a fleece blanket. The best part? You can completely customize these to fit your modern wedding theme. Maybe you’d prefer a white fleece with a gold monogram, or a bold houndstooth pattern in your own wedding colors. It’s up to you! And did we mention these will make for great photos?
- Ask your venue team about opportunities to create cozy seating areas. With modern furniture rentals, you can create a unique and inviting seating area where guests can relax on comfy couches (under their cozy blankets, of course!). If your venue has an outdoor patio, you can even ask about fire pit options that give your seating area a little extra warmth.
3. It’s All in the Details! What makes your winter wedding unique to you? Think about some special details you can put in place that will ensure guests never forget your wedding. For inspiration, consider some of these winter wedding details that add a special touch to the big day:
- Hot chocolate bar: why limit dessert to cake? Winter is the perfect time to provide a hot chocolate bar with the works—marshmallows, whipped cream, peppermints, and custom stir sticks.
- Unique favors: send your guests home with a holiday-themed favor like a personalized ornament, custom mug, or toasty warm socks.
- Fun props: opting for a photo booth? Wintry props will be a big hit! Whether sparkly snowflakes, silly elf ears, or New Year’s sparklers, let guests in on the fun with details you can capture on camera.
- Glam up your winter attire: as the bride, take advantage of the wintry season with gorgeous accessories that summer brides could never get away with. Rent a stand-out fur stole or elegant gloves that make for beautiful distinctive bridal portraits. Don’t forget to take advantage of your venue as the backdrop to these glamorous accessories!
Work with your venue team to make sure all the details are in place before guests arrive. We’ve hosted many indoor and outdoor patio weddings and receptions at The Empire Room. We would be honored to lend our expertise if you need help preparing our venue.
As much as we love winter temperatures, it’s important to keep in mind that your guests will be in wedding attire—not comfortably bundled under mittens and scarves. Let all the magic of a winter wedding shine by keeping these three tips in mind. You and your guests will never forget a winter wedding at the perfect venue!